If you haven’t heard of Lipsense by now… it’s a super long wearing liquid lipstick product that people sell (Multilevel Marketing). I’ve known about it for a while… I tend to hear things through the grapevine as a makeup artist. Not to mention it’s pretty much the only thing I see in my Facebook feed. Side note, when did Facebook become basically just people sharing random articles and selling things???? I feel like there’s NO ONE posting just pictures anymore!!??
ANYWAY… my original reaction was like okay here we go ANOTHER thing people are selling. Usually I steer clear of things like this. I have been asked quite a few times if I want to sell things beauty/fashion related. I always say no because A. I already have WAAAYYY too many things on my plate and B. I love WAAAYYY too many beauty products/stores to commit to something and sell it!
Recently a couple of close friends started selling it, so I decided I’d try it out for myself and see what all the hype was about. I’ve used it a few times now, so I figured I would go ahead and tell y’all what I like, and what I don’t like about this product. Keep in mind that I use A LOT of lip products all the time. I am always trying new products, colors, etc… so I feel like I have a lot of background knowledge on this subject! 🙂 This is also just my personal experience and opinion. Your experience could be totally different! 🙂
What I didn’t 100% love:
- The consistency. The main ingredient is cosmetic grade alcohol, which makes it almost watery when applying it. It dries after a a few seconds, though. It is definitely not like other liquid lipstick products in that respect. It’s not necessarily a BAD thing… just different.
- Unimpressive packaging. I feel like the packaging needs a serious makeover. For consumers, packaging is SO important because it’s the first thing you see of a product. I’m a sucker for pretty packaging, that’s for sure!! I really think if they re-branded, makeup snobs like me (I admit it!) might be a little more inclined to try this product.
- The smell/taste. It literally smells AND tastes like rubbing alcohol. I am incredibly picky with the smell and taste of lip products, so this is something that I just can’t stand. Of course, there’s obviously a TON of people that use it, so it must not bother them that much! I don’t necessarily make a habit of licking my lips all the time… but on the rare occasion that I do, I’d prefer to not taste alcohol!
- The application process. You have to do one layer at a time, and let it dry in between each layer. You also have to apply it in one direction or it doesn’t go on evenly. I just feel like this is QUITE a process just to put on lipstick. On the other hand, I’m used to putting regular lipstick on quickly… but I suppose it’s worth the time spent if it stays on the whole day! Be aware that the first few times you put it on, it’s going to slightly burn a little. Not painful burning… more like lip plumper tingling. After a few applications, though, you won’t feel it as much! I also had an issue with the darker color that I wore when I applied it. I didn’t get a really nice, even application. I think it will just take more practice applying it to get it right!
- It REALLY stays on. You feel a little… locked in with your color. LOL… I am so indecisive sometimes with my lip color… so I may start the day out with a bold red lip and totally change my mind half way through the day. Of course you CAN remove this stuff, but it takes a bit of work! Again, this is most likely a problem MOST people don’t have… 🙂
Okay… I know it seems like there are a lot of things I don’t like… but wait!
What I 100% love:
- It REALLY stays ON! Yes, it ACTUALLY does what it claims to do. I purchased the colors Luv It and Plum, and wore it from 6:30am until about 7:00pm. It stayed on incredibly well, and I could have left it on even longer (but I was going to the gym and didn’t want to look TOO extra…). This is great for times when you don’t want to carry lipstick with you (weddings or special events, for example) or if you just really hate wearing lipstick and re-applying. For me personally, I don’t really mind re-applying throughout the day… I’m just so used to it. BUT… it is pretty awesome not having to worry about it!! You do have to reapply the gloss throughout the day, though… which is okay because it keeps your lips nice and hydrated. The gloss can also be used at night as an overnight moisturizer (which I do EVERY night).
- Large variety of colors. There are SOOOO many colors, y’all. For real. And not only that, but you can also MIX colors together to make your own combinations. Pretty awesome!!!
- Using this on brides. YES YES YES! This is the perfect product for a makeup artist. The #1 problem I always have is bridal parties and their lip colors staying on. I leave them knowing their lip color won’t last (even if it’s a lip stain) through eating, drinking, kissing, etc. So, this product is definitely going in my makeup kit!
- Doesn’t smudge or budge. I LOVE that this product doesn’t come off on ANYTHING. Literally. If you haven’t seen the crazy Facebook videos of girls rubbing their hands all over their lips, go check it out. It doesn’t rub off on your cups/mugs/glasses/hands/clothes/hubby’s lips…. it’s pretty freakin’ awesome!
OVERALL: The benefits of this product outweigh the cons in my opinion. I think LipSense IS a pretty amazing product, and I would recommend it to people that want their lip color to stay ALL day. It’s not going to be my every day go-to product (I just love SO many lipsticks!), but there’s definitely room in my lipstick collection for it for when I need a lip color that doesn’t come off!
Check out all the details on Lipsense by clicking HERE.
Do you want to try out this product? Click HERE.
**Disclaimer: I love to support the awesome girl bosses that sell this product, but I am not interested in selling it myself! :)**